Smudging is a traditional ceremony practiced by some Indigenous peoples of America's Smudging is performed for spiritual cleansing or blessing, but the purposes and particulars of the ceremonies, and the substances used, can vary widely between tribes, bands, and nations. The rite of smudging has been appropriated by others outside of the Indigenous community as part of New Age or commercial practices. In the world of crystals, people have been using smudging to cleanse their crystals of their negative energy.
Here are 8 common sages used in smudging.
- White Sage – Used for the cleansing ceremony and objects such as crystals to get rid of negative energy or even bad spirits.
- Yerba Senta – Used for purification but largely used as a smudge or incense for protection and setting boundaries. We recommend using Sage or Palo Santo to cleanse followed by Yerba Senta.
- Cedar – Used for cleansing ceremonies, best known for its power to purify places, objects, and people and its ability to attract good spirits and eliminate negative energy. We do not recommend using Yerba Senta.
- Rosemary – Used for purifying negative energies and vibrations from the environment and helps drive away nightmares and creates emotional uplifting.
- Palo Santo – similar to Sage and Cedar, Palo Santo is one of the most fragrant woods in the world is commonly used for purification and energy cleansing for houses, objects, and people.
- Desert Sage – Similar to White Sage, Desert is used to bless, cleanse and heal the person or object being smudged.
- Lavender – Used to cleanse and creates a peaceful harmonious atmosphere.
- Juniper – Used for cleansing and create protective energy.
Which sage or method we used?
White sage and Palo Santo for cleansing crystals before sending out to customers, normally this method is sufficient. Spring or seawater is used if crystals need to be clean, this method should be used carefully as some crystals must not be in contact with water.
In some cases where stubborn negative energy refused to be cleansed with the above method, we will use the powerful amulet “rian” consecrated by a reputable venerable monk.
All bracelets should be cleansed once in a while to prevent negative energy from smudging the crystals. Once a crystal absorbed negative energy it becomes “functionless” or in some worst scenario, it amplifies the negative energy. This is one of the reasons why some people feedback that their bracelets or crystals don’t seem to be giving out the right frequency as before.
Happy Cleansing folk! Feel free to nudge us if you have any enquires.